i discovered a new feature in msn7 called "what i'm listening to". i guess you probably already know about it, but i didn't so i thought i just post here about it.

“what i'm listening to” displays the song name and artist name of the mp3/wma you are currently playing in windows media player. it seems to work with other players such as winamp as well, but you need to install a seperate plugin to get it to work.

to activate this feature, open the main msn messenger window where all your contacts are displayed and click tools | options and make sure the “show song information from windows media player as a personal message“  is checked. then click ok to save the setting. on my laptop, i also had to activate the “msn messenger music plugin“ in windows media player: tools | plug-ins | msn messenger music plugin.

have fun!

112 Responses to MSN Messenger 7: “What I’m Listening To”

• Eric,

Thanks for the help. I needed to change the setting in Windows Media Player, which is not something very obvouis. But it works like a charme…

Well, now you can see which MP3 song I am currently listening to 🙂

Greetings,

Hans

• Anonymous says:

What plugin do you need for Winamp? Cant stand using that PoS bloatware Mediaplayer.

• Anonymous says:

How do I acess the plugins menue on MSN Messenger 7.0.0813?

• Anonymous says:

thank you very much!!!!! i didnt know that i have to activate the “MSN Messenger Music plugin“ in Windows Media but now it works

• Anonymous says:

how do they put radio stations on it?

• Sean Hickey says:

Hi add me to msn messenger my addy is oyzo@hotmail.co.uk

• Anonymous says:

ok

• Susana says:

Hi!! Thanks for the tip!!! I didnt know I had to activate WM player..

• LilLeeLee says:

Thanks for the tip! The info in your blog was EXACTLY what I needed (to the point, nothing more and nothing less) to get my MSN messenger to display what I’m listening to.

• karlic says:

Thanks guys, i went to windows media player – tools – plugins – MSN messenger music plugin and then to MSN messenger – activate what i am listening too!

• Beans says:

k i have the thing selected turn on "what i’m listening too" but it still won’t show what i am listening to and i am using Windows media 10 please HELP

• mike says:

thanks alot guys it worked this time

• Mike says:

Eric – thanks for the help!

Beans, go Tools > Plug-Ins > and click MSN Messenger Music plug-in and it should work.

• JOHNY says:

THERE IS NO PLUGIN FOR WINAMP YET BUT I HOPE THERE WILL BE ONE IN A YEAR OR TWO.

• maria says:

IT STIL DOESN’T SHOW MY CONTACTS WHAT I’M LISTENING TO EVEN AFTER DOIN EVERYTHING YOU’VE TOLD ME TO DO

TELL ME OTHER WAYS, PLEASE!!!!

• Guybrush Threepwood says:

Thanks for the tip Eric! I needed to activate the plugin in wmp as well.

– Guybrush Threepwood

• luke says:

well if u can tell me how to get the msn music plug in without installing the program on the computer i would b very thank ful as i use msn at collage and we can not install it on the computers here put we want people too see what we are listening too also we can not download so any suggest please e-mail them to me @ luke523762@hotmail.co.uk thank you very much

• Marcia D'Alma says:

Eric,

I think this is awesome!! I have been trying to fix this for months now and never did. I decided to search a little today, found your notes and boooommmmm!! It is now working… Love it!! thanks a bunch!!

tomygirls@msn.com

• Gennie says:

My "What I’m Listening To" plugin started messing up last week. I thought it was the version of MSN Messenger I was using, so I upgraded to Windows Live Messenger. When I did that, the plugin stopped working altogether.

When I got into WMP, it’s no longer there.

Can anyone tell me where I can download it? I’ve reinstalled WMP 10 and it’s still not there.

Any help is appreciated.

gennieb@gmail.com

• KenM says:

To enable the ‘what am I listening to’ feature in Messenger, using Windows Media Player, iTunes or WINAMP, check this link:

• Rachael says:

I installed Windows Live Messenger and it was all stupid because it wasn’t showing any Online contacts or anything and it deleted all my contacts. So I uninstalled that and installed MSN Messenger 7.5 again and now the "MSN Messeneger Plug-in" option isn’t in Windows Media Player anymore. Could anyone help me please? Thanks.

moments_forever_faded@hotmail.co.uk

• Dodgy bob says:

hey guys – just wanted to let you know that you dont have to use stoopid windows’ media player for this feature … if you prefer winamp (which i do) then just grab this plugin for winamp from here:

once installed, your contacts will be able to see "what i’m listening to" in winamp — NOT — WMP!!!

hope that helps someone out!!

Dodgy Bob

• Matt says:

OK… Erm… I’m using Windows Media Player 10, and I don’t see the plugin anymore. I just got a new computer today, and it worked on my old computer were I beleive I was using WMP 7. Is it even possible to get that plugin for v10?

• amanda says:

Hey, I just discovered the "What I’m Listening To" feature but couldn’t get it to work right…googling it got me to your page and now it works!  Thanks!!

• vik says:

How do you get what you are listening to on i-tunes to show up to your contacts? please help! i have tried the "turn on what i am listening to" and it hasn’t done anything please help me

• cn says:

it still doesn’t work!!>.<

• Carly says:

Hi…. i probably sound really dumb, but i couldn’t find the Tools option on WMP???  There’s no bar along the top?  So i just downloaded winamp and got the plugin from the link Dodgy bob posted… thanks!  It appears to be working.

• Woodsie says:

Thanks for the info it works now =D

• Tater says:

I use itunes…AND IT DOESNT WOOORRK! HELP ME! =(

• jorzeep says:

thanks! works like a charm!:)

• mike says:

HELP ME DUDE!WHERE CAN I GET THE PLUG IN FOR WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 10 SO PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT I AM LISTENING 2!RESPOND QUICKLY!THANKS

• Vivid says:

Alright, so where could I find the plugin for iTunes?

I’ve tried everything I have yet to hear and it still won’t show up.

I have MSN Messenger 7.5, iTunes 7, and WMP10, if that helps.

• Matt says:

Bril thanks a lot

• Goffrey says:

how do you show music to your contacts using itunes?

• Hayley says:

Thank you so much!!! It was working there for awhile until i had inserted a cd that skipped.  It came up with a warning that windows media player was improperly closed out (because i had ejected the cd in the middle of skipping) I went through the trouble of redownloading windows media player, making sure the plug-in was turned on for MSN but didn’t even think about checking the plug-in on media player.  Thank you!

• merry says:

hi guys, for those of u who have trouble finding plug in for windows media player, all u need to do is just right click on the small icon of WMP on the upper left corner, then click tools, plug-ins, then tick on windows live messenger music plugin. Hope this will help. Cheers.

• Jeff says:

Thanks !! it worked

• Mandeep says:

Thanks great help !

• DANIEL says:

Heii i would like to know how to get the "what im listen too" from my i tunes. If its possible can u write m an email. italian_per_la_vita@hotmail.com

thanks

• marwa says:

i did all what u said but it ddnt works what shall i do?!?!?!!?!??

• mik says:

ahhh im still confuzzled!! i downloaded  the winamp plug in and it doesnt work!!!!

• elsie says:

hiya, i have itunes and WMP doesnt work on my computer, my msn stopped showing what im listening to, how do i make it work again?

• KBP says:

Thank you very much for the info.

I found this site by Google and it’s very useful

2 steps:

1. MSN Messenger -> Tools -> Options: check “Show song information from Windows Media Player as a personal message“

2. Windows Media Player -> Tools -> Plug-ins -> MSN Messenger Music plugin

That’s it

• KBP says:
  • amie says:

Wow,, thanks this really helped =]

• kobokubs says:

thanks alot man!!

• I dont know that either, nice

• kendall says:

thanks that really helped me. i knew how to turn it on in messenger. but i didn’t know how to in windows media player. thank you.

• Killer_Kae says:

• j86rt says:

OMG thank you very much!

• Jim says:

I have soundblaster and i cant find a "now listening to" plug in for msn live messenger…anyone know where i can find it?

• Celly says:

THANKS DUDE YOU ROCK!!!! I DID IT BEFORE BUT IT BEFORE BUT, I FORGOT WHAT I DID….WELL NOW IT WORKS AGAIN THANKS!!!

• Nils says:

Perfect. This was my search-phrase in Google:

"msn turn on what i’m listening to not showing". Yours was the first match. And just what I needed. Thank you.

• Jon Peters says:

Incase people don’t know, when you set your personal message to ‘turn on "WHAT IM LISTENING TO"’ and it doesn’t work, a good aidea would be to go to ‘tools’, ‘plug-ins’, and the tick the option that reads ‘Windows Live Messenger Music Plug-in’ (this may change depending on your messenger).

Thanks

Jon Peters

• thi13een says:

OK, i had 2 restore some info on my computer, and now the plugin isnt in the WMP 11 menu., i know how 2 work computers so don’t tell me 2 go to tools, plugins, baecause it isnt there, i only hav the nero fast cd burning plugin, how do i get the what i’m listening to back, i normally use itunes and it doesnt work etiher now, so tell me soon about how 2 fix at least one of these(itunes prefered)

• SuperSi says:

Fantastic tips – I struggled for ages trying to figure out why the feature didnt work – downloaded latest MSN messenger and Media Player but to no avail. If it wasnt for your comment:

I also had to activate the “MSN Messenger Music plugin“ in Windows Media Player: Tools | Plug-ins | MSN Messenger Music plugin.

Again, Many Thanks! I cannot recall this at all in the online help for this feature.

• ray says:

thanks……all my frens couldn’t figure out whats the prob with my comp, with ur lil help..it solves everything…

• rossi says:

i recently downloaded the new itunes and ever since the ‘what i am listening to’ has stopped working. any help please!!??

• tdwkns88 says:

what do i need to do for it to work for ipod?? ive tried for ages to get it working, it worked when i first plugged it in but it seems not to work now

• love.meoxx says:

I can’t get my msn to let me use itunes for ‘ what im listening to ‘  how do i get it there?

• like wtf says:

PLZ tell me, i installed windows live messenger, and since then, there is no option like that available in wmp anymore :S

• Rocken Randall says:

Thanks a million.I had forgotten how to let others see the song i was listening to when on MSN.

Here are the instructions for MSN 7.5 that I used that worked & may apply to later versions .

1.Click on the place where you type your MSN name.

2.Choose " Personal Settings… "

3.Click the box so their is a check where it says " Show song information from Windows Media Player as a personal message "

• Ernest says:

Messenger 8.1 + Vista doesnt work at all

already checked message option and checked WM11 plugin option also cannot show it out 🙁

please help

• peter l says:

Please will somebody tell me tell me how to show your contacts the song your listening to when your using itunes?

thanks.

• Antonio says:

Thanks eric it work for my laptop

• Steve Burney says:

Thanks a bunch guys, now my msn live shows what im listening to because of the plugins options on my windows media player!! Woohoooo!! (Its been doing my head in for months)

• KP says:

When i go to tools and plugins there is no Windows messenger plugin..

all there is is download plugins and Options.. and therees no msn thing on options either

• booby says:

hiya

• Thomas says:

Thanks man… had the same problem for weeks with a vista and wmp 11 but fixed in a minute with your help.

• iain says:

There does not seem to be any option for ‘what i am listening to’ on messenger 8.1 anyone out there with any pointers???

• Gazmo says:

awesome thanks for your help, my media player must have randomly switched off the plugin

• James says:

If you can’t find the plug in for windows media player 10 try this link

• gwen says:

ur thing didnt work for me. Are u not suppose to see what ur listening to? DO u just play the song and it will magicly come up??? My email is pippygwen@yahoo.ca

• Shoaib says:

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the help man.I needed to change the setting in Windows Media Player, which is not something very obvouis. But it works like a you know,,,just like that

Well, now you can see which MP3 song I am currently listening to 🙂

Cheers

Shoaib

• Cody says:

how do i get it to work with itunes?

• Some crazy nerd lol :) says:

hey guys soz this is a bit off the track…

but anyone using firefox should definately download the FOXY TUNES plug-in!!

It hides WMP, iTunes Winamp +++  and allows you to control the player from your browser!

It’s available from the FireFox homepage  (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/219)

and it’s also available for internet explorer!

GOOD LUCK ALL and thanks Eric

• Jaye says:

I’m using Windows Live Messenger and iTunes 7.0.2, the "Show what your listening to" feature was working fine up until a couple of days ago, does anybody know how to remedy this problem ???

• sameer says:

windows media player is the badest player in not goot at all and keep erro error all the time windows media player is not recommended its really virus

• Krystal says:

!!!!FOR EVERYONE THAT LISTENS TO MUSIC ON itunes!!!

If you cant get MSN to show what your listening to, it means MSN or itunes or both are missing files.

So all you have to do is go to MSN and download messenger again… you dont need to uninstall first MSN will ask you if you want to remove or repair messenger, click repair. After the repair is complete it will ask you to restart your computer click restart later.

Then go to apple.com and install the latest version of itunes…once again you will not need to uninstall before doing this, apple will ask you if you want to repair or remove itunes, click repair.

after you have repaired itunes restart you computer. Once restarted open MSN and itunes and play a song it should work then.

if not then you can follow the regular steps.

which are:

For MSN:

Go to Tools, then click on Options… in the drop down menu, then check the "show song information from Windows Media Player in Personal message"

Then…

For itunes:

Go to Edit, the click on Perfrences, then go to the advanced TAB then make sure that minimize itunes to system tray is UNCHECKED, then hit ok.

You should then right click on your taskbar (if you dont know what that is…. it is the bar at the buttom of you screen with the time and all your open windows). When you right click on the taskbar a pop-up window will show, move the cursor over Toolbars and make sure that itunes is CHECKED (this will thereby enable itunes).

YOUR ALL DONE. I did all of this and it worked, so if this doesnt work for you then you are in my prayers cuz i know you must be frustrated 🙁

• Your says:

Woo Thanks For This…Really Helped!! =P I Was Wondering Why It Weren’t Working, But Realised I Had 2 Do That Windows Media Player Thing Lol.

• Genie says:

Omgg Thankss Eric..Ive Had So Many Struggles Trying 2 Figure Out How To Work That.. I Always Though It Was Something 2 Do With My Msn But Guess Not =D

• Fire says:

Normally on my msn 7,5 when i played music i had my "what im listening to"on and a pop up window came down on the screen from right side that said, now you are listening to this song. But ever since I got windows live messenger it hasnt came out.

• leanne says:

ive done all that, and it hasn’t worked 🙁

• Shane says:

I had the problem with the option not being there, i turned off the windows live option, then i went to personal settings and re enabled it, then opened wmp and it was there again

• vicky says:

thanx, i went to windows media player.. tools.. plugin..windows live music. it worked!

• Hello says:

Thanks for the Windows Media Player bit!

• nuree says:

help i cant find tools on window media player vista i dont think u resond but its worth a try can u let me kno on my my add plz coolynuree@hotmail.co.uk fanxs soo much its dosn’t work on my laptop it did on my comp its soo strange but help plzz

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nuree says:

OMIGAWD I DID IT YEEAAAA I WORKED IT OUT ON MY OWN LOOK A LONG TIME BUT I DID IT 4 WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.

U CLICK ON THE ARROW UNDER RIP AND MORE OPIONS ND THN  PLUG INS ND THN BACKGROUNDS ND THN CLICK ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER

ND DOO NOT BE EMBRSSED TOO ASK 4 HELP COZ I DIDN’T SOO FANXSSSS ND I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL LOLZ

NUREE IF U NEED MORE HELP COZ IT TOOK ME AGES EMAIL ME AT coolynuree@hotmail.co.uk

• Joshuah says:

hey is there a itunes plugin for yahoo messenger? it would be nice

• Jon says:

The original post explains it all.  It works.  If not, it’s what we refer to as UE (User Error).

• james says:

thanks man for this advice ,,, really appriciate

• ashley-turnbull@hotmail.co.uk says:

someone answer please! to the last thing

• tiho says:

Dodgy Bob THANKS A LOT MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sarah says:

Hey Thanks a lot. It solved the problem 😉

• viv says:

hey you’re a genius! thanks a lot!!! ‘kisses" 😉

• Yea says:

Thnx man,, great job..

• Molliee =] says:

Thanksss Loadss And Loadss! xD

• Laura says:

Ah ha, thank you. This helped me much!

• jordyn says:

merry helped me on this and thanks so much

ok people with window media player look at the left corner where it says windows media player right click on it and go down to tools then go to plug ins and then click on the windows messanger thing that should work

• andrea says:

heeey thanks a lot:D i had tu turn that thing on windows media player. i would never think of that myself. thanks;)

• yudith says:

Thank you so much..it really works..Cheers..

• Jason says:

Hey thanks Eric, and all you other guys,  i had that problem with the "Show What I’m Listening To" featureo n msn, it stopped working, but now with your help, it works!! Thank You!!

• Hamad says:

How i can show what i’m listening in messenger if i use itunes??

• sam says:

thanks mate it works i just hadnt done the thing in media plaer

• Adele says:

in windows media player i dont have the tools tab so how do i get it to work?/

• Adele says:

i have all the things tick and still it does not work any ideas

• Rodrigo - Brazil says:

thanks for that information…kinda useful! I´ve been crackin my head to find out how to make that thing working!

• Leighaaa says:

Omgsh thank youu ;D I had to turn it on in Media Player. I kept wondering why it wouldn’t work. once again thanks ;D

• Daniel says:

good site

• Talia says:

:(:( Ii have windows live messenger and windows vista and when I was on Windows Media I couldn’t find ”Tools’ Im confused 🙁

• Ryan says:

thanks! i didn’t realise it was that easy.

xx

• tanya says:

i need help with the listening feature for iTunes any ideas? please help!